Friday, January 4, 2013

{ Meet Lindsay }

When the caterer told me that the bride I was about to meet with worked for Anthropologie, I must say, I became a little biased. Considering that I tell people that my flower style is "Anthro meets J. Crew", I had a feeling that this, bound to be well dressed, girl and I were going to get along.  And...well... I was right.

One rainy Wednesday afternoon, we sat in a little cafe in the Houston Heights (That's right ladies, I travel.) and sipped on our coffee as we talked about our families (coincidentally, we both brought our mothers to the appointment...hers sat in on the chat, mine was hiding incognito in the corner), our dogs (we have matching great danes), and eventually we got around to discussing what we came for, her destination wedding in the one and only Austin, TX.  And THAT is the moment that I knew I had found my florist-to-bride soul mate.

Lindsay came to the appointment with a decoupaged board that she made of all the magazine cutouts she had collected. So needless to say, the girl knew what she wanted.  But after telling me her ideas of corals and yellows, and succulents as far as your eye can see, she stopped.  And then she said the three little words that every creative professional would give their left kidney to hear... "I trust you." And from that moment forward, she sat back and let us do our job, that of taking our client's ideas and using our creative mojo to give them a product that far surpasses what they ever dreamed possible. And do our job we did!

The ceremony site was in an old, empty dance hall where we created a backdrop using tissue paper flower balls of all colors and sizes.  The boutonnieres included small clam shells, which is what the groom used to hide the ring in during his underwater proposal. We created brightly colored bouquets using poppies and ranunculus in various shades of pinks, oranges, and yellows, nestled in with Coral Charm peonies for the bridesmaids and Bowl of Cream peonies for the bride.  And of course, there were succulents.  Lots and lots of succulents.  The long banquet tables at the reception were covered with an assortment of vases and bottles holding all of the flowers used in the rest of the wedding and off set by tall tins housing gloriously colored grafted cacti.  I'm not going to lie, I had no idea what a grafted cactus was before this.  But when I saw them, I knew I had to have them, and the end result shocked even me.

All in all, Lindsay and Dirk will go down in history as some of my favorite clients of all time.  And thanks to Karen Theresa's photography, the pictures are one for the books as well.  Enjoy.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment