Monday, January 21, 2013

Flower Bombing, Banksy Style.

Fact:  I burn breakfast almost every single morning.  I'm an unapologetic phone call screener.  And, I must admit that the state of my car is an absolute joke.  No really, it's ridiculous. But even with all of these, shall we say, "flaws", people still seem to genuinely enjoy themselves when I'm around. I know, I'm shocked by it too.

So there I was one morning, drinking my coffee as my house was filling up with smoke, wondering if this same perplexing equation can be applied to the bucket of leftover flowers I had sitting in my kitchen. Were they in tiptop shape? No. Could I sell them to people? No. Were they still flowers? You betchya.  And are there any flowers that don't on some level make somebody happy? I mean, seriously, if people can like gerbera daisies, then really there's nothing that's impossible. So there you have it. Fact: Even somewhat haggard, not-so-perfect flowers can still be enjoyed by someone, somewhere.

And so came about my Banksy-esque practice that I like to call "Flower Bombing." While this probably just boils down to the fact that I was raised by a hippy and hate to throw anything away, I'm going to pretend like it was a small stroke of genius on my part. But in reality, the idea is simple: take any and all leftover flowers that find their way into my presence, arrange them in a vase that I don't mind losing, and stealthily leave them in a public place for everyone's enjoyment. I'm still not quite sure whether or not this is illegal, so for the record, I don't claim this. But even if it is illegal, I wouldn't mind having "Giving Flowers To People" come up as a part of my criminal history. So here's a little photo evidence of what you might want to keep your eyes open for as you wander around Austin...






No comments:

Post a Comment